Using Goat Milk in Your Thanksgiving Dinner
Oh yeah! You can use it for scruptious dishes. Add this nutritious milk to your meal or in your dishes. Add all natural goodness that doesn’t harm your body, to your meal to bless your family on this day of Thanksgiving for all you have.
You could use it in many things like chip dips, pies, breads, creamy mashed potatoes or even a delicious drink.
As a kid on the ranch, I remember our holidays very clearly. We were poor folk, but Mom always made sure to invite one or two single people, so they would have some place to go where they were loved. They were never allowed to be alone. Mom always made home made pie crust, the best ever home made rolls often served with home made grass fed cows’ butter. Everything was home made. I long for those days gone by….We always were thankful for what we had.
Pies and stuff
Try putting a scoop of fresh made goat yogurt on top of your pumpkin pie, and sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice on it for color. And maybe add a maraschino cherry on top too.
A Slice of Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie using Kefir
- 1 pie crust unbaked store-bought, or your favorite recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup goat milk kefir
- 3 large egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- whipped cream
- Preheat Oven to 400°F.
- Line a 9 in. pie pan with the dough. Trim the edge. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in oven for approximately 15 min. Remove from oven; set aside to cool.
- Measure the pumpkin into a bowl. Add the kefir and the eggs, and beat thoroughly with a whisk.
- Combine the sugar with the spices. Put them altogether, then beat them into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spoon the filling into the partially baked pie crust.
- Place the pie on the lower shelf of the oven and bake 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and continue to bake until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, another 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 TBSPs all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (12 oz.) can MEYENBERG Evaporated Goat Milk (or I substitute fresh goat milk)
- 1 (16 oz.) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-9″ unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven and cookie sheet to 375° F.
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir in egg and brandy extract.
- Beat in pumpkin and evaporated goat milk until smooth.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake on preheated cookie sheet 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted one inch from edge comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold, topped with whipped cream
Makes one 9-inch single crust pie.
|….. Note: Meyenburg is a company owned by distant cousins of mine. You can find their milk in any grocery stores. Great people!!! ……
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups goat milk or combo of goat and coconut milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon goat milk butter
- sweetened whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- toasted coconut for garnish
- In a nonstick 1-quart saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 2 3/4 cups milk together.
- Bring the milk to boiling point and scald the milk.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the remaining milk, egg yolks, and cornstarch together. Whisk until smooth.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture into the scalded milk.
- Bring the mixture up to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the flaked coconut, vanilla and butter.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill the pie completely, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites (from grass fed chickens) until stiff with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/3 cup coconut.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Alternately, top with fresh sweetened whipped cream and more toasted coconut.
My Mother-in-law’s No Fail Pie Crust
- 4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg from pastured fed chickens
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine first three ingredients with a fork
- Mix other ingredients together
- Combine both #1 and #2 together
- Mix with hands to form a ball
- Chill at least 15 minutes before rolling out
Makes 2 double crust and one single crust pie
Can be frozen until you want to use it
*** If you do a double crust pie, brush top of pie with one of the following:
At the bakery where I work, we make an egg wash to mimmick pies like Grandma used to make.
- 3 eggs
- a bit of cooking oil
- handful of pastry flower
Mix together till nice cream paste. Brush heavily onto the pie all over, except for the edges.
Brush pie crust with goat milk
or… even healthier crust
For 8-9 inch
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. pig lard (from grass fed pork)
- 2 tbsp. water
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in lard with pastry blender until small pea size particles are obtained.
- Sprinkle with water a little at a time. Mix with fork until flour is moist.
- Press into a ball and turn out onto a floured board. If making a two crust pie divide in half.
- Roll out with rolling pin. Try not to use too much extra flour because it makes the crust tough. Roll out to desired size. Usually about 1 inch bigger around than the tin.
- Fold pastry in half and move up to pan. Unfold and put pastry into pan. Try not to stretch the pastry because this causes shrinking in baking.
Yogurt Pumpkin Smoothie
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons organic pureed pumpkin
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
- Add ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Can be served topped with a dash of cinnamon-sugar. Maybe a maraschino cherry on top. You might even put some home made goat milk whipped cream on top.
Makes one serving.